Other Web Sites
The links on this web page are checked regularly, with the most recent added links at the top of each topic. However, it is beyond our control that occassionally a web server cannot be reached. Additional links can also be found on:
How to Translate Dutch Language Web Sites into English
- Go to Google;
- Enter the full home page URL as the search string;
- Select "Translate" from the Google menu at the top;
- All subsequent pages will be translated.
- REDWAY3D -- REDsdk -- High performance 2D visualization. Extreme performance real time 3D. Photo-realistic pictures & animations. Desktop to cloud implementations. REDsdk covers all the graphics features for real-time 2D, real-time 3D and photo-realistic rendering using a single integrated API.
- CadStd -- CAD (Computer Aided Design) software. Basically 2-Dimensional (2D) design with sufficient 3D functionality for all the woodworking projects I do. Offers Standard Lite freeware and inexpensive Pro software. Use this first before you buy a more expensive CAD program.
- eMachineShop -- Unique true online machine shop. Download their free CAD software, draw your part, click to order, your part will be machined and delivered. I have no direct need for their machining services yet, but I do like their free CAD program and audio tutorial.
- IMSI -- The company that offers DesignCAD 3D MAX; current version 22.0. Smart Computing Magazine rated it the best 3D CAD program for under US$100.00. There is an excellent DesignCAD User Forum with plenty of knowledgeable users.
Wood Carving/Burning, Model Building, Puzzles, Boxes
- Wooden Ship Modeling -- Lots of practical information, tips, forums, glossary of terms, useful links, pictures, videos, etc. An optional one time membership fee entitles you to free ship plan(s) and complete construction details of ships.
- Hobbylinc -- The #1 source for Hobby Products.
- Model Expo Inc -- Ship models, trains, airplanes, tools and cars.
- Wood Carvers Supply, Inc. -- Wood Carving Tools, Wood Carving Supplies, and Wood Carving Equipment.
- Molen de Weert -- Meppel -- Windmill "de Weert" in Meppel, The Netherlands. Beside the history of this renovated windmill, Kees Vanger has also created a complete 2-year training program for millers. In that process he also gathered lots of windmill pictures including details of the inside of windmills in these slide shows. Although the web site is in Dutch, you can translate the web pages easily in English using Google's Translate (see above).
- Creating Furniture and More; Guide to Wood Carving & Whittling -- Clearly a commercial site, but their wood craving guide page is worth a closer look and features many links to other interesting websites.
- Livio De Marchi Virtual Museum -- A whole different dimension of carving. Very much worth a visit, although the website is not very easy to navigate.
- Preferred Edge Carving Knives & Supplies -- They are the makers of high quality handmade tools for West Coast Native carving.
- Billing Boats -- Great ship models. I built their Cutty Sark. Offered in many languages and experience levels.
- BlueJacket Shipcrafters -- Fine wood ship modeling kits.
- Chip Chats -- I am only a beginning amateur carver if even that. I read the Chip Chats magazine of the National Wood Carvers Association to keep myself humble by looking at those absolutely magnificent price winning sculptures.
- Jewelry Boxes and Cutting Boards with Parquet Inlays -- Jewelry boxes and cutting boards handcrafted by a skilled artisan with twenty years jewelry box making experience.
- John Rausch -- The world of puzzles. Lots of those can be made from wood.
- Mike Mahoney Salad Bowls & Woodturnings -- Mike Mahoney's web site. He taught a bowl woodturning class at Lee Valley. When you Google "Mike Mahoney" you will fine alsa a YouTube video about tool sharpening.
- Nature Coast -- Model ship kits, ship modeling books, tools and supplies at discount prices! They even play a nice background music.
- Razertip Industries Inc. -- Canadian company that makes the great Razertip woodburners, hundreds of wire nip pens to choose from, and lots of carving supplies.
- Scale Model Web Sites -- International List of Scale Model Related Web Sites. Search over 5288 hobby related web sites.
- Sue Walters Pyrography -- Her Pyrography Workbook is a must have.
- Tallships Unlimited -- Scale model ship and model boat kits from around the world. Very nicely organized web site.
- Floor Sanding Experts (British) -- Beginner's guide to carpentry and woodworking; suitable for all ages.
- Regal Floor Paint (British) -- The Woodworker's Guide to Preserving & Treating Wood, using a great collection of tutorial videos.
- Shelix Helical Cutter Heads -- Replacement cutter heads for jointers, planers, shspers and moulders for almost all brands. Superior and long lasting.
- The Wood Database -- A great website! I have several wood books, but nowadays it is very handy to be able to search on Common Name or Scientific Name.
- Wood Identification and Treatment -- A commercial site with advertising, but if you are carefull you can find some good tips.
- Craftsman Paul Sellers -- Woodworking with hand tools. Read Paul's Biography and blog. Watch his videos with pleasant and clear explanation, and great demonstrations. He is a Master Craftsman!
- Woodworking for Engineers -- An engineers approach to woodworking. Useful, practical, interesting, bizarre, crazy and just plain fun.
- Improving Your Home: A Beginner's Guide to Woodworking -- A must read for the novice woodworker, but full of useful information for the seasoned chip & dust maker too.
- Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology -- All horology terms in four languages: English, German, French and Spanish.
- Titebond -- The professional choice for woodworking & construction. I use Titebond III for my woodworking.
- American Association of Woodturners -- We seldom realize how toxic certain wood species are, so check out these Wood Toxicity Resources.
- American Furniture Design -- 100 of the best Woodworking plans.
- Black Forest Wood Company -- Where I buy my "exotic" woods.
- Black Bridge Online -- Supplier of space balls for raised panels.
- DB Fletcher Design -- Have a look at the videos of the expending round tables. That takes woodworking to a level that I can only dream of.
- Fine Woodworking Online -- Worth a visit.
- Hermle -- Another German Mechanical Movement Maker. Hermle was founded in 1922 and their movements are advertised as lasting somewhere between 19 to 30 years.
- Jet Equipment & Tools, and Powermatic -- Keep this reference handy when you are tool shopping.
- Kieninger -- A German Mechanical Movement Maker. Kieninger was founded in 1912, has a very good reputation in terms of the highest quality, but that comes at a price. In 1993, Kieninger became part of the Howard Miller Group (USA).
- Klockit -- A USA company that sells movements, dials, pendulums, and parts. Provide also expert advise and help. Their Clock Forum looks very well managed and is alive. It offers a wealth of information and has many experts to help out.
- Lee Valley Tools -- Where I do my shopping when I need something unique.
- New Yankee Workshop -- Who hasn't seen master carpenter Norm Abram on this famous TV show. Visit their web site for plans, videos and must more.
- Oakside Classic Clocks -- A UK company that makes grandfather, grandmother, granddaughter clocks and Vienna Regulators in different styles. Have a look in their gallery, pick a clock, look at the Full Details and select a specific wood. You can see the beautifull craftsmanship up close. They are also the UK agent for Kieninger and supply comprehensive kits of "Movement, Dial and Pendulum" sets for Hobbyist. You buy a kit from them and you get the clock plans for FREE.
- Online Tool Reviews -- Nice reviews, but unfortunately not always of products that I am interested in. Nevertheless check it out.
- Southern Alberta Woodworkers Society (SAWS) -- An association of craftsmen dedicated to the achievement of highest quality in design and production of fine woodwork. They are located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Sunhill Machinery -- Worth a look when you are shopping for your workshop.
- Van Dyke's Restorers -- Suppliers for woodworkers and antique restorers of antique furniture and vintage home restoration hardware and supplies. Ranging from solid oak furniture kits to fittings, hinges and restorative supplies. One of the very few that sells glue for attaching canvas to the back of tambours for roll top desks.
- Windsor Plywood -- High quality (ply)wood, flooring, doors. My favourite wood supply store.
- Woodbin - Woodworking Software Central -- This site is a must. It provides the software that helps you with your woodworking hobbies.
- Woodcraft -- I have no experience with their products, but I like the way they neatly organized stuff in departments.
- Wood Online -- A woodworking information service from the editors of WOOD® Magazine.
- Woodturners Inc -- Your Woodworking Supply Specialists.
- Woodwise Products -- Wood fillers, wood patches, hardwood floor cleaner, and tools and accessories for the hardwood flooring industry.
- Woodworkers Workshop -- An absolute heaven for woodworkers. Listing over 18,800 free woodworking plans, projects, patterns and resource links. No doubt the largest private collection on the Internet.